Howdy! Welcome to Vinously Speaking! A wine blog that is about the down-to-earth, fun side of wine and wine-gulping! This wine blog was created with 4 aims in mind: to make its readers laugh/smile at least once with every post, to be quick and easy to read (cause Lord knows you ain’t got a lot of free time), to teach/show you one thing about wine with each post (without being wine-snobby about it) and last but not least, to help you better know…ME, the crazy Texan gal who is gulping all that wine and making a complete dork out of herself to bring you the funny side of enjoying wine! (Who am I kidding! I am a dork with or without a wine blog, now I am just documenting public evidence of it =P)
If you want a brief summary of who I am, my main adjectives are: funny, semi-nerdy, clever, goofy, witty, blunt, optimistic, efficient, confident, curious, loyal and in-your-face. I am a 100% certifiable grade A dork and I am I proud of it. Spending time with me has been likened to the feeling one has on a roller-coaster; outrageously fun, unpredictable, very addicting and there’s always a long waiting line! =) If you are pressed for time, there ya go! Get on outta here! If you are still curious about me and my story or you are in stalker mode…..READ ON.
So who am I? Well first of all my full name is Veronique Cecilia Barretto (say that with a mouthful of wine, haha) I have gone by a shortened version of my middle name, “Ceci”, since I can remember. “Ceci” rhymes with “Messy” and I DO NOT like when people pronounce it “See-See”, if I wanted it pronounced like that I would have doubled up the two vowels like Cece or Cici. So if we ever meet in person and you say “See-See” I will use you as my new wine spittoon (and my Daddy taught me how to spit) =P
As I said above, I am Texan, born and raised. YeeeHaw! I hail from the lovely city of San Antonio! Woot! Woot! Holla! I received my undergraduate degree in Diplomacy & World Affairs from Occidental College in Los Angeles, California, (don’t ask) I planned on going to law school after taking a year break from the academic scene, but the big man up above had a different plan for me. I took a job doing in-home wine tastings/selling wine with a company called The Traveling Vineyard. I did that for 2 years, fell madly in love with wine and decided, “to hell with law school, I am going to follow what lights my fire and rings my bell!” =)
Then it was all about finding some sort of masters program in wine, I needed something official and I really wanted a Masters. THEN I MET FRENCHIE, le boyfriend, as it were. =) Give me a San Antonio Spurs Tony Parker look-a-like and an authentic french accent any day of the week! So I looked for a masters program in France to be closer to le boyfriend and also France didn’t seem like a bad country to get a wine education. They know a thing or two about wine-making ;) With that, I packed up my bags, spent a year at the Alliance Francaise in Lyon , France to learn french and then started a Masters (MSc) in Wine Business at the Burgundy School of Business in Dijon, France in October of 2009. The academic and internship portion of my masters ended on July 1, 2010 and now I’m in the oh-so-loved thesis phase, still unsure what that will be just yet, but in my procrastination I have built up Vinously Speaking as a brand, added a few bloggers to my site, expanded my wine persona in San Antonio, and bought a wine shop with one of my co-bloggers, Melissa. So don’t judge me that I haven’t finished my thesis just yet.
“And what’s next?” you ask. Haha! I’m not going to ruin the ending here folks, you gotta keep up with my wine blog if you want to find that out! But I will leave you with some other random fun facts about me though! Enjoy!
- I collect zebra print! It is an obsession really.
- My favorite singers are Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, and John Mayer.
- Favorite music genre is jazz, but my iTunes list has a bit of everything.
- Favorite movies: ‘The Sound of Music’ & anything with Jim Carey or Will Ferrell.
- Favorite movie genres are comedy, musicals, and black and white films.
- I have the cutest welsh corgi doggy, her name is Dolce.
- I HATE chocolate.
- I am not a fan of desserts/sweets in general.
- I love stanky cheese!
- I LOVE to cook! (and clean, but I am not a clean freak!)
- Favorite magazine is Food & Wine.
- Favorite wine producing region: Jura (never been though).
- I’m a red wine kinda girl, though I still appreciate the other colors.
- I HATE shopping, except for wine, food, and party/event stuff.
- I love to plan events/parties!
- I have a keen attention to small details and have a great memory, leaning photographic.
- I have insane, intense, and extremely vivid dreams.
- I do not like watching TV.
- I drink straight from the milk carton unless I have guests, haha! =D
- It took me an extra 20 days, 16 hour labor, and forceps to be birthed into this world.
- I am the oldest of 3 children and have the oldest child syndrome.
- If you are into zodiac, I am 100% Aries.
- I am lucky to call my parents, siblings and le boyfriend my best friends!
- I am really good at imitating accents =)
- I am a ham!
- I graduated Valedictorian status in high school; this explains my semi-nerdy side.
- My lucky number is 13. Favorite colors are black and white (see fun fact #1).
- I ALWAYS sleep with a baby pillow & patchwork blanket my grandmas made.
- I am Mexican with deeper origins of Italian, French, and Native American.
- I make funny faces a lot. Especially to make ‘silences’ less awkward.
- I tend to randomly laugh out loud. If a thought/memory is funny, I can’t help it.
- I definitely laugh at my own jokes. I am the comedian and the audience!
Vinously Speaking & Vinously Yours,
The Ceci Sipper